Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Sunday, March 06, 2011

A foodie dream

It's a good thing that in dreams one never gets full ...

I had a dream, in which my high school classmates were celebrating a reunion. Yeah, you know this is going to be fun with the classmates I have!

The high point of the reunion was a progressive dinner in the finer restaurants in old Santa Fe -- apparently the planners of the reunion couldn't decide on one, so they picked four: one for appetizers, one for soup and salad, one for the main course, and one for dessert. So we were a couple of hundred people traipsing around the narrow streets from one gourmet haven to another.

The appetizer course was a buffet with lots of tasty tidbits, mostly seafood-themed.

The soup-and-salad course featured French onion soup, with gobs of gooey cheese on top.

The main course was cabrito, slow-simmered birria-style, with spicy seasonings.

Dessert was another buffet, with plenty of yummy bites of this and that, some sweet, some tangy, some chocolaty, some creamy, some crunchy, some chewy, but -- ooh-la-la! -- one dish stole the show: mascarpone and raspberry filled ravioli with white chocolate sauce. Now, I've never heard of a restaurant here in New Mexico (or anywhere else either, for that matter) serving mascarpone and raspberry filled ravioli with white chocolate sauce, but it does sound like something the trendy, upscale restaurants in old Santa Fe would come up with.

When I woke up, the big toe joint on my right foot was aching, as if I actually had been on a walking tour of Santa Fe (or the way it aches when the weather is about to change), and I was drooling.

(And, no, these aren't actual pictures of the food I dreamed, just the closest approximations I could find on the Internet. The cabrito is very similar to the dream, but I couldn't find exactly the right ravioli picture.)

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Baydog said...

I often have food dreams, go figure, but they almost always have to do with the serving aspect of it (go figure).

There are the dreams of having people sitting in the dining room at un-set tables, in the dark, but not complaining. The busboys are sleeping on the banquettes and the bar has no booze on the shelves. What does this mean, Carol Anne?

Sun Mar 06, 06:39:00 PM MST  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

It's probably similar to the one I have in which I can't find the classroom I'm supposed to be teaching in, and when I finally do find it, I look down and I'm wearing fuzzy pink bedroom slippers.

(VW: milventi -- an extremely large coffee serving at Starbucks?)

Sun Mar 06, 07:22:00 PM MST  
Blogger O Docker said...

Baydog, I think your dream means that Gordon Ramsay is about to show up.

Sun Mar 06, 07:23:00 PM MST  
Blogger Baydog said...

Oh bloody 'ell!

Sun Mar 06, 11:24:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home