Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Writing challenge: your stop on the waterbloggers’ food tour

Beer can chicken is just the beginning

People have reacted positively to my previous post on beer-can chicken, and there have been a few food-related comments on other blogs that I frequent, leading me to believe there is an interest in this project.

It would be fantastic for all of us to get together in sort of a global progressive dinner, where we meet weekly or monthly, each time at a different waterblogger's home waters, and enjoy a meal together.

Alas, such a scenario is not merely figuratively but literally fantastic, defined as "characterized by fantasy." It's not likely to happen in reality, unless one of us suddenly becomes obscenely rich and finances everybody else on the journey. So we will have to do with the virtual world and share our imaginations. Thus I propose this writing project. Here is the scenario:

A horde of your fellow waterbloggers has come to your home waters to join you sailing, paddling, or doing whatever other sort of water recreation you do. It's the end of the day, and they are now all tired and hungry. What do you serve for dinner?

There are some requirements. For one, it needs to be easy – if all of your fellow waterbloggers are tired at the end of the day, so are you, so you don't want to spend great lots of effort slaving over the food. It should also be really yummy. And it has to be prepared on or near the water – on your boat, in your marina, or using whatever facilities are close to hand wherever it is that you are.

Give us a detailed description of that dinner, so even if we can't come to join you, we can imagine the experience. Include recipes if you wish, so we can prepare the food ourselves and pretend we are in your company as we enjoy it. If you have a blog, put your entry into a blog post and give a link in the comments here; if you don't have a blog, paste the whole entry as a comment. Deadline for this challenge is midnight Sunday, June 20.

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Baydog said...

Wow. I must have ESPN or something.

Sun May 30, 10:45:00 PM MDT  
Anonymous tillerman said...

Ha. I was just thinking of posing the same challenge but you beat me to it. Great idea. I will have to consult with the Tillerwoman who is the gastronomic brains in our family.

Mon May 31, 06:58:00 AM MDT  
Blogger O Docker said...

Carol Anne, if I am in the kitchen, you definitely don't want to be in the dining room, trust me.

This is going to be my greatest writing challenge ever. Maybe I can rework my old popcorn marinara recipe.

Mon May 31, 08:20:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Baydog, tillerman, GMTA ;)

LOL, O. I take it that I also don't want to be in the salon when you're in the galley ...

Mon May 31, 11:52:00 PM MDT  
Blogger bonnie said...

Next weekend, in between family visits!

Or if I don't have time I shall just have L&L Barbecue cater the affair. Spam musubi (non-Chinese), lau lau & haupia for all!

R.I. should be awesome. Between the seafood & Tillerwoman's garden? yum.

Wed Jun 02, 07:26:00 AM MDT  
Blogger bonnie said...

I'm done!

Thu Jun 10, 08:42:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Zen said...

What is the taste of a fantasy dinner, if no one eats it...

Sun Jun 13, 11:50:00 PM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my offering.

Mon Jun 14, 07:59:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home