Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Trying to return to normal

Whatever normal is …

It's been more than three weeks since Marty disappeared beneath the waves, and three days ago, his body was recovered. Eventually, the medical examiner should be able to answer at least some of the questions about his death.

As time goes by, I'm getting better. The summer term at the community college is about to begin, and getting immersed in work should help. Also, as the events surrounding Marty's death fade into the past, they're not so painful any more.

We had a couple of Gerald's buddies visiting up at the cabin this past weekend, and they're both just fantastic guys who really made the weekend a success, helpful, courteous – their parents should be proud of them. We even had a bit of comic relief when the State Parks people put the ranger boat into the water and forgot to put in the drain plug; Gerald's buddies helped to save the day, along with the current NMSC dockmasters.

But I do still get spells. I have thoughts and memories, and sometimes I find tears leaking from my eyes even without a triggering event. I took a nap, and I had a dream that I was riding in Marty's truck with him. There was no conversation; he was just driving and smiling that smile.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Baydog said...

Every day it will get a little bit easier, but it will never disappear.

Tue May 25, 07:45:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Thanks, Baydog. I know things are already gradually getting better. Losing Marty has just hit me harder than any previous death -- even my grandparents' and Pat's dad's. The suddenness, the long period of limbo, his age ... all add up to more shock.

Tue May 25, 09:13:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Baydog said...

The limbo was the worst of it all.
I never knew Marty, but I'm sure I would have cherished his friendship like you all did.

Tue May 25, 11:14:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

And Marty was close, he was always there. Every weekend for years, he'd be there sailing with Larry of taking care of his Windependant. I still feel like I'll be seeing him on Constellation in the next race, or at the helm of the Hunter in the Sunrise Regatta.

Thu May 27, 12:40:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Sympathies....

Fri May 28, 04:24:00 AM MDT  
Blogger bonnie said...

Hope you are able to have some good sailing this weekend.

Fri May 28, 10:18:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home