Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Where am I?

Sometimes cyberspace can be deceptive

Every thousand visitors to this blog, I take a moment to look up statistics about the x-thousandth visitor. I'm most interested in the route by which the visitor arrived (link from another blog, web search, etc.). However, it is also interesting to note where the visitor is from. Actually, I ought to say, where the visitor's internet service provider (or the provider's contractor) is located.

In my own case, this information only sometimes accurately defines where I am. When I log on from work, for example, I am pegged not only as connecting from the community college; the precise campus where I am is pinned down. Over the dial-up connection in Albuquerque, I have also still been accurately placed. However, the dial-up connection at Five O'Clock Somwhere is pegged as being in Santa Fe (with the same provider as my parents in Los Alamos, who also show up as being in Santa Fe). When we logged on at Cornhusker's house in T or C, we used to be labeled as being in Little Rock; now we're supposedly in Dallas.

Pat and I are in the process of ditching the landlines and the dial-up ISP, instead opting for high-speed Internet through our cell phone provider. So far, it's worked quite well – except we're now supposedly in San Jose, California. Gee, you'd think we're right around the corner from my brother and his sweetie.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Baydog said...

Carol Anne: Would you please turn your patio lights off? I'm trying to fall asleep!

Sun Apr 25, 08:34:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Actually, the porch light is broken. That's why we keep the Christmas lights up year round.

One other weird thing is that when I use Chrome, this computer shows up as a Mac running Safari, not a Vista machine.

Mon Apr 26, 12:08:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Pat said...

But we have three porch lights at the cabin.

Mon Apr 26, 01:26:00 AM MDT  
Blogger O Docker said...

Are lights left up all year still Christmas lights?

Couldn't they just as easily be considered Veterans Day lights or summer solstice lights?

Tue Apr 27, 11:41:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think the lights are Annual Celebration of Someday lights.

Tue Apr 27, 10:31:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Baydog said...

Did you ever notice that the blue outdoor Christmas lights on trees appear blurry? No? Cancel that last drink.

I don't know, do they have outdoor Christmas lights out west? I never understood how they had Christmas in Florida. I mean, there's no snow so.......and there are no chimneys for.....

Tue Apr 27, 11:47:00 PM MDT  
Blogger bonnie said...

In your statistics, sometimes I would be in Brooklyn, sometimes in NYC & then sometimes I look like I'm in Ohio.

BTW, despite very few chimneys, Santa always managed to make it to Hawaii. He would arrive by outrigger & then I think some helpful mongooses would fill in for the reindeer.

Thu Apr 29, 07:08:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

At least in New Mexico the chimneys are made of mud, so he can fix them when the crumble under his weight.

Fri Apr 30, 06:21:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home