Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cat Herders Day once again

No takers on the contest, though …

Yes, it's now December 15, and we can celebrate National Cat Herders Day. To all of you who literally herd cats, and to all of you whose feline-herding efforts are merely figurative, we salute you.

As you scramble through your days, doing all of the stuff you usually do to take care of your family, your job, and whatever other duties you have, and then on top of all that, cope with all of the holiday preparations and shopping and cooking and planning parties and whatever else you do, remember that there is a holiday in your honor.

The closest thing I had to an entry in my writing project about the true meaning of Cat Herders Day was a somewhat cynical comment about how those who think they can herd cats are delusional. I offer this photo as evidence that Tillerman's suspicions may be correct; we have a creature whose natural instinct is to be the herder, but he's joined the herd instead.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous EscapeVelocity said...

Thanks for spreading the word about the holiday. Herding cats is the mission of my organization, and there's a lot of intramural cat-herding that goes on as well. Plus of course the herd of actual pointy-eared ones at home.

Tue Dec 15, 07:52:00 AM MST  
Blogger Pat said...

In honor of the occasion, Gerald and I watched "Animal Cops" late last night/early this morning.

Tue Dec 15, 01:05:00 PM MST  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Ironically, as I am reading this, my iTunes is playing Johnny Cash singing "Ghost Riders In The Sky." It would be interesting to create a version of that song for Cat Herders Day.

Tue Dec 15, 11:15:00 PM MST  
Blogger Tillerman said...

I have to confess that I have a serious aversion to cats since my son's cat puked in one of my bedroom slippers and I didn't notice it until too late. I also feel that bloggers who post pictures of their cats instead of writing a serious post such as a critical analysis of postmodernist elements in sailing blogs should have their licences to blog suspended for at last 6 months.

Having said that I do intend to write a post title Herding Cats some time in the next few days.

Wed Dec 16, 09:23:00 AM MST  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

What about people who post pictures of somebody else's cats -- and dog? And what if the dog is named after a famous America's Cup skipper?

Wed Dec 16, 11:28:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home