Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Thirteen again

Closer to world domination?

Once again, my domain covers more than half of the time zones on Earth. With just a little more luck, I might get even more ... I just need someone from Hawaii, Anchorage (hello, Bill Bob's brother?), the Middle East, India, Sydney, or New Zealand to visit, before any of those one-visit time zones expire, and I set a new record. Of course, it would be really cool to get visitors from the hard-to-get time zones, UTC -3, -2, and +12.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol Anne said...

And then there's the thought of what happens to time zones if Venezuela goes from UTC-5 to UTC-5.5 -- does that mean I now have 25 time zones I need to cover?

Or do I simply ignore the artibrary decisions of a not-terribly-rational dictator and continue to treat Venezuela as UTC-5? Of course, Sitemeter will also have to make a decision how to count visits from Venezuela, since the current tracking covers only integer-level time zones. I'm guessing Sitemeter will also declare UTC-5.5 to be the same, for all practical purposes, as UTC-5.

Now, there are already a few areas in the world that don't fit time-zone mapping -- there are some spots in central Asia that have half-hour time zones, and the remoter areas of Russia and China have 2-hour time zones (one country going with odd numbers, the other with even). And Greenland, except for the coast, doesn't have time zones at all -- everything there is on solar time.

But I don't expect many visitors from those parts of the world. Venezuela, on the other hand, is a place from which I do see a visitor once in a while.

Sun Oct 07, 01:46:00 AM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm from Uruguay (South America) time zone UCT-3, actually, it's UCT-2, because of the daylight saving thing, or whatever.
Got here because of your comment about confusing verbs. I'm sitting for the FCE (a Cambridge International Exam) and always confuse on those silly things.
Anyway, good luck
JOSE

Fri Nov 09, 12:22:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home