Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Monday, October 30, 2006

NaNo Upcoming

I’m going underground for the next month, but I may need advice

I need to warn all of my faithful followers that I will not be quite so visible for the next month. November is National Novel Writing Month, and I will be participating.

The object is to produce 50,000 words of fictional prose within 30 days. In order to accomplish that goal, I will need time, and that means that some of the time I usually spend maintaining this blog will instead be spent on writing my novel.

However, I will be depending on you, my fans, for some support. This year’s novel, Murder at the Yacht Club, will follow the formula I used with huge success last year with Murder at the Community College. I will create a character who is as obnoxious and otherwise detestable as I can manage, I will give about a dozen different people a good reason to want this person dead, and then I will kill this person off. I will spend the rest of the 50,000 words with my protagonist and her police-detective boyfriend going through the lengthy suspect list.

Here is how you readers can help me in my NaNo effort: Tell about obnoxious people or obnoxious characteristics of people that made you wish they were dead, especially as applied in a yacht-club setting. I’m especially interested in specific anecdotes. Don’t worry about being found out – I will, of course, change names and details to protect the guilty.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a great post over on the Sailfar.net forums about that type.

Here is the link to the post.

BTW, what author handle are you using for NaNoWriMo??

Mon Oct 30, 03:08:00 AM MST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never mind... I figured it out... I'm just a bit slow...was looking under Five*... and in the wrong place. :D

Mon Oct 30, 03:16:00 AM MST  
Blogger Tillerman said...

My blog is full of stories about obnoxious people... the guys who break rule 42, the guy who started an email flame war over 5 bucks, the guy who accused me of cutting him up at the leeward mark, the sailmaker who made rip-off Laser sails, the guy accused of cheating at the Memorial Day regatta who went home in a sulk, the guy who embarrases all his friends by writing about them in his blog...

Mon Oct 30, 07:52:00 AM MST  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

At NaNo, I'm "CAByrnes." If you're "Adrift," I've got you on my writing buddy list.

Yeah, Tillerman, I've noticed the folks at the RGSC and NMSC have a similar problem with one or two people who make embarrassing blog posts.

Mon Oct 30, 11:19:00 PM MST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that there is one at the lake, but how about the goofy park ranger or harbor police person who goes around like a cop trying to order everyone around and hand out tickets. You could easily come up with a bunch of different ways he's upset people. To add to it, he could also be an unwanted member of the club who is unhappy with the way things are being run, thus giving him a motive to harass club members while on the job.

Tue Oct 31, 09:04:00 AM MST  
Blogger Tillerman said...

Oh we've got a park ranger like that at our lake. I should write about him. Thanks for the idea.

Thu Nov 02, 08:13:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home