Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

It’s still “about students”

New name, same philosophy … good

This coming Saturday, August 19, marks the official transition of the computers at the place where I work. Six months ago, the institution formerly known as Albuquerque Technical-Vocational Institute was renamed Central New Mexico Community College. During the transition period, email addressed to either tvi.edu or cnm.edu addresses has been redirected to the new domain, but starting this Saturday, the old domain will no longer exist. The powers-that-be have been issuing repeated warnings that I need to give my new address to people who want to contact me, because, starting Saturday, the old address won’t work.

This, to me, is a blessing. Last spring, I had a student who didn’t understand the evils of spam, and he responded to a pop-up ad that asked him to give addresses of people he thought might also like the opportunity to “win” contests such as he had just won. The result was that my tvi.edu address has been getting about 150 spams a day. Come Saturday, all of that spam will cease – and I will make extra-sure in the future that my students know they are not to give out my email address to anyone, so I will not be subjected to such a deluge again.

Meanwhile, the IT people at CNM have issued emails alerting staff to problems that might happen during the changeover, and advising everybody to be patient. The emails have included information about whom to contact in case of a problem, and have also explained the level of priorities different divisions of the institution will get. Top priority: Student Services.

Back when the place was TVI, the big motto was “It’s about students!” Now that we’re CNM, it’s good to see that we’re still “about students.”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Might want to make sure that you don't have any autoresponders setup, so that the bad guys don't automatically get the new address. :D

Tue Aug 15, 06:56:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Update: I just got an email telling me the changeover has been postponed to an unknown future date.

And yes, Dan, I have made sure I don't have any autoresponders set up. CNM's email system gives me a lot of control over things like that, and I like having that power!

Thu Aug 17, 11:46:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home