Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

My new sailing hat?

Vanity, vanity ...

As many of the regulars here know, a hat is a vital piece of sailing gear. Partly, its purpose is to keep the sun from scorching one's face and causing melanoma. But any self-respecting sailor will also tell you that a hat is a vital expression of oneself.

I lost my lucky Aussie hat in the incident three weeks ago. I'll miss that hat. It had a wide brim that kept the sun off not only my face but also my ears and the back of my neck. It was subtantial in weight, and it also fit my head snugly, so I didn't even have to tether it to my head except in the heaviest winds. Vicky pointed out this past weekend that the hat was still my lucky hat even as I got clobbered by the boom -- it was the hat that went overboard; I didn't.

Well, now I think I may have found a suitable replacement for that hat. It has a nice, broad brim that extends even beyond where the Aussie hat did. It's especially appropriate for a magician's daughter, born on Halloween, who writes about wizards and has a boat named Black Magic. Take a look:
Now can I be sailing in style, or what?

5 Comments:

Blogger Tillerman said...

Do you have a broomstick to go with it?

Wed Mar 15, 04:45:00 AM MST  
Blogger Pat said...

Something better: she has Black Magic. It flies through the water.

Wed Mar 15, 11:08:00 AM MST  
Blogger Pat said...

How does this quote from Proper Course fit in with the idea of "making a hundred mistakes in the next several weeks and learn from each of them"?

<<

Ward Esaak of About Sailing wrote a post a couple of days ago entitled Expect Mistakes warning sailors, especially beginners, to expect things to go wrong when they go sailing. Eric Twiname in his book Sail, Race and Win makes a similar point. He encourages every sailor to be their own coach and points out that the sailor and the coach in each of us have different reactions to mistakes that happen during a race. For the helmsman they are frustrating and annoying; for the coach, "mistakes are welcomed as imperfections in sailing ability which he can help the sailor work on and iron out, so they will not recur in future races".

Ah yes. Imperfections. Always find some of those when I race. Sunday was no exception. Yes Eric, I will try and welcome them and do some ironing out.
>>

Wed Mar 15, 02:09:00 PM MST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Business opportunity - hard helmets with a wide brim.

Thu Mar 16, 12:21:00 AM MST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow, I missed this post originailly.

I love the hat... it's perfect for the captain of a boat named "Black Magic" You can use the tip of the hat to figure out where the apparent wind is coming from. :D

Thu Mar 30, 02:02:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home