Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

WCMIK's first concert of the year

It wasn’t exactly a big concert, but it was a concert.

This evening, I attended an orchestra concert at the World’s Cutest and Most Intelligent Kid’s high school. Often in the past, I haven’t been able to get to such concerts, since I teach evening classes. But this year, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have an early-evening class, but not a late-evening class. And most of WCMIK’s concerts will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays. So I can actually get to many of the concerts.

This evening’s concert was fairly short – four movements from Purcell’s Fairy Queen, the Scherzo from one of Mendelssohn’s early sinfoniettas, and an early arrangement of “Scarborough Fair.” The Purcell was good, and the Mendelssohn was very good.

Next Tuesday, WCMIK has another concert, with the citywide Youth Orchestra. I’m hoping my students will let me end class early (they didn’t this evening) so I can get there in time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Tuesday, 4 October 2005 was Gerald's second concert of the year, playing the big bass fiddle for the Albuquerque Youth Orchestra in front of a packed auditorium in far northeast Albuquerque. With lots of meaty pieces from Verdi to Lenny Bernstein, it was quite the concert.

Thu Oct 06, 12:24:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home