Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Monday, August 22, 2005

This is a test

This is a test.

I’m sure it was only a coincidence. I responded to a poll from Blogger asking what improvements I would like to see in the service. One of the suggestions I made was making things easier for people who don’t know too much HTML, by making more keyboard shortcuts available for such things as characters with accents – I even went so far as to suggest making those shortcuts similar to the ones in Microsoft Word, since I’m familiar with that program.

Two days later, Blogger came out with an add-on that lets me create my posts in Word. That’s even better than just getting some keyboard shortcuts similar to Word’s – assuming it works. This offering must have been in the plans for some time, so probably my request had already been made by a whole lot of previous users. Now I will see whether it works.

There are already a couple of en-dashes above. Other important characters are letters with accents, so I can spell Española correctly, since that’s the biggest town in Rio Arriba County and therefore where a lot of important events happen. It’s also important to spell my new sister-in-law’s last name correctly; it’s tricky: Křenova. And then there is the occasional word borrowed from French, such as fiancé.

So this is a chance to see how well these things transfer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol Anne said...

Yes! It works!

Mon Aug 22, 12:32:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Pat said...

Seems good. I got to say "na shledanou" to Jerry and Lee as they were about to be driven to the airport. Fuego expects to be back in a couple of weeks, likely, to do a non-union job; work in Prague is slow at the moment.

Mon Aug 22, 11:25:00 AM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home